In April 1862, when the demand for postage stamps surpassed the production capabilities of Hoyer & Ludwig, the Confederate government commissioned J.T. Paterson & Company of Columbia, South Carolina, to assist Hoyer & Ludwig in printing of the 10-cent blue Thomas Jefferson stamps (CSA Scott 2). Upon completing their contract with the government, Hoyer & Ludwig sold most of its presses and materials to Paterson, who transported them to Columbia, South Carolina, along with thirteen 'apprentices'. Shortly thereafter, J.T. Paterson moved to Augusta, Georgia, where the Paterson printings were actually made. Paterson’s work chiefly consisted of lithographing notes of Hoyer & Ludwig engravings.
The issue's central motif is a portrait of Thomas Jefferson, designed by Charles Ludwig of Hoyer & Ludwig. Both Hoyer & Ludwig of Richmond, Virginia, and J. T. Paterson & Co. of Augusta, Georgia, printed this design. The portrait of Thomas Jefferson used on both the Hoyer & Ludwig print and the Paterson print was the same portrait as used on the U.S. 5-cent issue of 1851. Distinctive marks added by Paterson to the transfer stones distinguish it from the Hoyer & Ludwig prints of the same design. The most typical use was for the 10-cent rate after July 1, 1862.
Although designed by Charles Ludwig, this issue was engraved by J.T. Paterson and printed in Augusta, Georgia. The earliest recorded date of use is July 25, 1862. There were 4,650,000 Paterson printings from an unknown number of stones including stone Y, possibly as many as four. Two different imprints are known and at least one without imprint. Unknown plate arrangement, but believed to be a sheet of two hundred, panes of one hundred, and transfer stone of fifty. Colors include light blue, dark blue, greenish blue, light milky blue, and the rare indigo shade. Impressions, usually poor and blurred, are considerably less clear than the Hoyer & Ludwig printing. Paterson printings, other than from stone Y, are more common that the Hoyer & Ludwig printings.
Stone Y (Scott CSA 2e): The earliest recorded date of use is August 25, 1862. It is thought to have been produced by J. T. Paterson & Co. as it has the same defining markings as well as some other specifically defining characteristics. The color is typically a light milky blue or greenish blue. Impressions are poor and of blurred appearance.